City of Frankfort | Frankfort, KY
Date Posted: 2/15/2019 1:58:25 PM
CITY OF FRANKFORT Finance Director
As Kentucky's Capital City, Frankfort is committed to preserving its unique history while taking a proactive approach to building its future. We promote an enhanced quality of life, work and play by providing professional services in a responsive, timely, and compassionate manner that meet and exceed expectations of all our citizens. Our employees enjoy a supportive work environment, offering work/life balance and a real opportunity to make a difference.
The Finance Director is a highly responsible administrative position that provides financial leadership to the City. The Director’s primary goal is to protect the assets of the city by supporting the establishment of financial guidelines and strengthening the internal controls of the City. The Director’s responsibilities include oversight of the accounting system, collection and custody of all receipts, the disbursement of funds, tax assessment, budget planning and preparation, billing and collection, support of payroll administration, investment and reporting of investment activities, and securing funds and reporting on the impact of special projects. The Finance Director is responsible to and reports to the City Manager. The Finance Director provides the City Manager with timely and informative financial reports and statements. The performance of the Finance Director is reviewed through daily communication and annual evaluations with/by the City Manager.
Key responsibilities include:
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization's fiscal function and performance in a manner consistent with established and accepted municipal accounting principles and practices.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action.
- Assists the City Manager with the planning and preparation of annual budgets (including providing history of receipts and expenditures).
- Develop credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the City Manager, Department Heads, and the Board of Commissioners.
- Develops solutions to business challenges •Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline, including financial training as needed
- Continual improvement of the budgeting process through education of Department Heads on financial issues impacting department budgets.
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Solve complex administrative and operational problems;
- Procures, manages, reviews work and recommends payment for professional consultant services and contractors used by the Department;
- Prepares and maintains required reports and records necessary to document compliance with all regulatory requirements;
- Responsible for all personnel actions relating to Department employees;
- Responsible for the administration of all Department programs;
- Represents the Department with customers, regulators and the media;
- Attends Board of Commissioner meetings and reports on departmental activities as required;
- Makes presentations to civic organizations, schools, and other organizations as required;
- Manages and supervises staff of the Finance Department.
- Maintains a system of control to insure that expenditures do not exceed appropriations/budget.
- Maintains a system of control to insure the proper payment of City payroll and overhead expenditures.
- Maintains a system of control to ensure adequate funds are available for special projects (both Sewer and General Fund).
- Maintains a system of control to ensure that changes in cash and investments are promptly reported to management.
- Makes recommendations to the City Manager relating to the improvement of the financial condition of the City.
- Invests city funds in accordance with city ordinances and policies.
- Oversees transfer of funds for bi-weekly payroll. Works closely with Human Resources regarding payroll and general ledger data.
- Supports the maintenance and update of the procedures manual.
- Provide suggestions for improving the accounting systems in terms of internal controls and efficiency improvements.
Other duties as assigned or required. Successful candidates will have:
- Ability to establish realistic budget plans and can demonstrate fiscal accountability.
- Ability to apply knowledge of accounting practices to identify issues and internal problems.
- Ability to analyze current procedures for possible improvements.
- Ability to ensure accuracy in documentation and data.
- Strong business acumen, the highest ethical standards, and outstanding problem solving ability.
- Ability to work cooperatively with people of diverse cultural identities.
- Ability to maintain a respectful, diverse and inclusive work environment where decisions and transactions are transparent and objective.
- High proficiency with MS Excel and be able to learn new software easily.
- Productive, efficient, thoughtful management of employees.
Work Experience Requirements: A minimum of five years of experience in finance administration with experience in local government preferred. Education Requirements: Graduation from an accredited college or university with major work in accounting, business or public administration. A CPA certification is strongly preferred. Special Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License. Residency in City of Frankfort preferred (moving expenses to be agreed upon if candidate is relocating).
Benefits Employees receive a comprehensive benefits package including pension benefits, medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, paid leave, voluntary 401(k) and 457 options, and tuition reimbursement. Please note that satisfactory completion of a drug test, and background check, including credit history, is a condition of employment. The City of Frankfort is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or any other non-merit based factor.
Application Deadline: 03/22/2019
How to Apply Online at: http://www.frankfort.ky.gov/Jobs.aspx Interested candidates should submit the following items by 03/22/2019.
- Cover letter, specifying salary requirements
- City of Frankfort application
315 W. 2nd Street
Frankfort, KY 40601