Submit a Job Posting
City of Bowling Green | Bowling Green, KY
Date Posted: 4/2/2021 11:43:35 AM
This position directs and oversees operations of the Bowling Green Fire Department. Essential duties include:
- Supervising, recruiting, and leading all Fire Department employees
- Directing the administrative duties including budget preparation and strategic planning
- Oversees the department’s accreditation model
- Collaborative member of Senior Management and responsive staff member to elected officials
- Evaluates and recommends the purchase of new apparatus
- Oversees the planning, budgeting, and staffing of new fire stations
- May respond to emergency calls involving fire, hazardous material and other natural disasters
- May assume incident command at fire scenes and respond as a city leader
- Maintains contact and relationships with other Fire Departments and organizations
Minimum Training & Experience Required
- Associate’s Degree
- 2 years in an Administrative/Senior Management role of a Fire Department (Assistant Chief/Deputy Chief/Battalion Chief)
- Prior to employment, applicant must be in good physical condition as determined by medical examination, and meet minimum physical fitness requirements of the firefighter mandated by the City of Bowling Green. The state of Kentucky’s minimum physical fitness requirement is CPAT(Candidate Physical Ability Test). Applicants from states that do not have the same minimum physical condition requirements may be asked to present an active CPAT card.
- Candidates must be certified as a Firefighter II as defined in NFPA 1001, Fire Instructor I as defined in NFPA 1041, and Fire Officer I as defined in NFPA 1021. • Incident Safety Officer as defined in NFPA 1521
- ICS (Incident Command System) 300 and 400 (FEMA)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Resident of Warren County, Kentucky (within 6 months of hire)
- If retired from Kentucky, an approved Form 6754, Member Re-Employment Certification, from KRS. NOTE: If no previous CERS covered service, there is a (25) year service requirement for full retirement benefits; however the City strictly enforces a mandatory retirement age of 57, regardless of years of service.
Highly Desirable/Preferred Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree with course in Fire Science, Emergency Management and Leadership preferred.
- Executive Fire Officer (National Fire Academy), Chief Fire Officer (Center for Public Safety Excellence) or similarly related certification.
- Certified as Fire Officer II as defined in NFPA 1021
- Experience in an accredited Fire Department (CPSE)
- 2 years as a Fire Chief of a similar size or larger Fire Department
- Possess thorough knowledge of City geography and related laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations.
Salary Information: $113,878/yr. (includes $4,000 state incentive) plus full benefit package
Application Deadline: 04/30/2021
The City of Bowling Green requests that you submit the following:
1. Resume (https://www.bgky.org/hr/jobs)
2. A cover letter highlighting your accomplishments in a senior leadership/management position.
3. A video (approximately 2 minutes) describing your leadership style and your vision for the Bowling Green Fire Department.
Videos may be taken by a cellphone or tablet. To upload the video, go to this link: http://bgky.quickconnect.to/sharing/2WULKSqrB. After typing your name you may select to drag and drop your video file or browse your device files
1001 College Street
Bowling Green, KY 42101
Phone: (270) 393-3633
Fax: (270) 393-3298