City of Frankfort | Frankfort, KY
Date Posted: 11/19/2021 4:34:48 PM
The City of Frankfort, home to approximately 28,000 residents, is searching for its next Police Chief to oversee a 65 member Police Department. The ideal candidate will collaboratively, ethically, and transparently lead the department through use of a community policing approach and possess a passion for service and policing. As the capital city of Kentucky, Frankfort is a beautiful, welcoming city known for its hospitality and its Kentucky River heritage. The City boasts a plethora of historical sites, eclectic shops and restaurants, extensive parks and trails and a full selection of cultural and arts amenities. This position provides an exciting opportunity to lead the Police Department to meet the needs of our community.
- Formulates departmental operating policies and procedures, following consultation with higher authority and subordinate officers.
- Plans, directs and evaluates all activities and programs of the Police Department. Monitors work schedules; ensures that accurate time and personnel records are prepared and maintained.
- Assists in recruiting, selection, promotion and training of departmental personnel with a continuing goal of diversity and inclusion that is representative of the community.
- Furnishes technical advice on police problems.
- Maintains constant surveillance of criminal and traffic reports in addition to activity reports; initiates corrective action when and where indicated.
- Supervises and evaluates the use and maintenance of departmental equipment.
- Formulates and enforces operating policies and procedures; and instructs, disciplines and evaluates departmental employees.
- Prepares and administers departmental budget; authorizes purchase requisitions of supplies and equipment for the department within established limits; and monitors external funding sources; prepares applications for funding; administers projects.
- Confers and coordinates resources with representatives of federal, state and local agencies on various police issues and investigations. • Prepares memoranda and reports on activities of the department; supervises others in report preparation.
- Handles complaints from the general public.
- Reviews all laws, official opinions and guidelines with reference to police activities and summarizes for departmental personnel.
- Responds to all major calls and takes command at the scene; may make arrests; may issue court citations; appears in court as necessary.
- Ensures that accurate records pertaining to citations, arrests and investigations are prepared and maintained.
- Participates in law enforcement courses and insures that subordinates are scheduled for such training.
- Represents the department as needed.
- Attends all Commission meetings; reports to the executive and legislative branches as requested.
- Develops and conducts effective public relations programs.
- Prepares subordinates through training and leadership to continue moving the department forward.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly with good judgement in emergency situations.
- Ability to maintain composure and self-control.
- Manages difficult and emotional situations effectively.
- Keeps current with and effectively applies new work methods, skills, and technologies relating to department.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of policies and procedures of operation; complies with and applies policies and procedures appropriately.
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work cooperatively with people of diverse cultural identities and sustain effective working relationships.
- Manages resources to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; recognizes and effectively leverages employee’s skills and abilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is typically performed in an office setting. However, must be able to perform all the duties of a Police Officer and assigned tasks. Operate Police equipment as efficiently and economically as possible under a variety of conditions and in accordance with law and established procedures. This includes but is not limited to vehicles, weapons, computer and radio equipment, cameras and audio and video recording equipment. Requirements Must possess a valid Commonwealth of Kentucky driver’s license. Must have completed required law enforcement basic training or equivalent, and must complete required in-service training each year. Graduate of advanced police studies program such as FBI or SPI is preferred.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Ten years of experience in law enforcement, including five years increasingly responsible administrative/supervisory experience in law enforcement desired. Graduate level education in a law enforcement related field may be considered in lieu of experience.
Bachelor’s Degree in Police Administration or related field preferred. Additional supervisory experience in law enforcement may substitute for the college education. Summary Pay commensurate with experience.
Salary Information: Commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: 12/06/2021
Candidates should submit the following:
- Cover letter including salary requirements
- Fully completed online employment application
- References Letters of recommendation
The City of Frankfort is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or any other non-merit based factor.
315 W Second Street
Frankfort, KY 40601