Louisa Police Department | Louisa, KY
Date Posted: 3/11/2019 10:23:33 AM
CHARACTERISTICS OF CLASS:
Performs general patrol duties in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances: Responsible for the prevention of crimes, and general enforcement of laws and ordinances within guidelines of WPD rules and regulations and KRS. Performs police work of considerable difficulty in protecting life and property, suppressing and detecting crime and serving the community. May have to act in situations that may include extreme danger or peril Work assignments are general, patrol, traffic or criminal investigations or other specialized functions on an assigned shift. Must be able to act without direct supervision and exercise independent discretion. Assignments and general and special instructions are received from superior officers. Work methods and results are reviewed through personal inspections, reports and discussions.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Must have already completed DOCJT police officer basic training.
- Must complete 8 weeks in the Field Training Officer’s Program.
- Advises the public on laws and ordinances and general information.
- Participates in individual and group training activities.
- Learns firearms use and safety practices.
- Directs vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Maintains assigned cruiser and firearms in safe operating condition.
- Schedules routine maintenance with City Garage.
- Clears major repairs through Chief or assigned officer.
- Learns City Streets and County Roads and must score 80% on written test.
- Participates in random drug testing program.
- Ability to process information concerning multiple issues simultaneously and react using sound judgment.
- Ability to function as an active Law Enforcement Officer
- Must be free from color blindness and have 20/50 vision, correctable to 20/20. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must have adequate mental ability, muscular and hand-eye coordination, ability to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
- Work is performed out of doors including periods of inclement weather with exposure to heat and cold, varying noise levels, blood born pathogens, fumes, dust and odors.
- Ability to patrol a designated area of the City of Winchester by operating the patrol vehicle/motorcycle, walking, observing, watching for traffic violators, and providing customer service.
- Ability to respond to calls for service and complaints.
- Ability to secure the scene of a crime or accident; administers first aid; lifts latent prints; gathers and identifies evidence; makes photographs and diagrams on the scene; obtains witnesses; and makes arrests.
- Ability to conduct a criminal investigation.
- Ability to inspect doors and windows of businesses, vacant buildings, schools and unoccupied residences.
- Ability to interview persons with complaints and inquiries and attempts to make proper disposition or direct them to the proper authorities; gives advice on laws and ordinances and general information to the public; and gathers information on crimes and offenses through interviews and interrogations.
- Ability to serve warrants, summonses, subpoenas and other legal notices; issues traffic citations; and prepares traffic accident and criminal offense reports.
- Ability to work with social service agencies with the care and placement of abandoned, neglected, physically and sexually abused children.
- Ability to testify as a witness in court in connection with arrests and citations made.
- Ability to transport prisoners to and from jail, court, doctor appointments and other destinations.
- Ability to administer breathalyzer tests or conduct polygraph tests when assigned.
- Ability to study and analyze crime patterns; and performs critical on-site security analyses of buildings and surroundings.
- Ability to lecture and give demonstrations to schools, civic groups, business groups and in public gathering events.
- Ability to work with other agencies
- Performs related duties as assigned and required by a superior officer.
Salary Information: 11.00hr - 13.50 based on education and years experiance
Application Deadline: 04/01/2019
Email Chief Fugitt for application at email@example.com
Chief of Police
215 North Main Cross Street
Louisa, KY 41230