City of Bardstown | Bardstown, KY
Date Posted: 8/12/2022 4:35:19 PM
The City of Bardstown is seeking an experienced fire service administrator with exceptional interpersonal skills and progressive management experience to serve as its fire chief. The successful candidate will possess a proven track record of innovative initiatives that have resulted in operational efficiencies. The fire chief has overall direction of fire prevention, fire suppression, and emergency medical services. The City of Bardstown is a thriving city. It is the second oldest city in Kentucky with a population of approximately 13,000. Bardstown is the county seat of Nelson County and the home of “My Old Kentucky Home.” Bardstown is the “Bourbon Capital of the World” and was voted “Most Beautiful Small Town in America" by Rand McNally in 2012.
Bardstown operates under a city council form of government, with the fire chief reporting directly to the mayor as a department head. The Fire Department has an annual budget of approximately $2.9 million with 20 full-time firefighters and is supplemented by volunteer firefighters.
The chief’s position is salaried position ($89,017 to $133,526), based upon qualifications.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, and life insurance, paid vacation, personal time, parental, bereavement and holidays, and retirement system contributions, Roth IRA, 457 plan.
Must possess a valid driver’s license, be able to pass an extensive background check and drug test.
Applications will be accepted until 9/30/2022
Examples of Duties
- Leads the Fire department and the leadership team.
- Plans, organizes, directs, coordinates, and evaluates department activities and programs.
- Develops the departments' vision, mission, strategic plan, and budget.
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of direct reports including recruiting, onboarding & training, performance evaluation, promotion, and disciplinary processes.
- Reviews and approves timesheets, time off requests, and daily logs.
- Serves as a liaison between staff and Human Resources.
- Provides administrative and fiscal oversight of the Fire Department services while maintaining working knowledge of all services being provided.
- Identifies needs and/or opportunities to provide new and/or improved services.
- Leads the development of the department's annual budget.
- Administers the approved budget and authorizes expenditures of funds within established limits.
- Provides guidance to department leaders on the funds request processes.
- Approves purchase orders and authorizes invoices and payments to contractors for services rendered within the department.
- Serves as incident commander on emergency and non-emergency situations involving large and/or catastrophic fires, medical injuries & illnesses, hazardous materials spills.
- Maintains the operational readiness of department apparatus and staff by ensuring that apparatus and equipment are properly maintained, and staff are properly trained.
- Analyzes community risk and prepares the department for those risk.
- Oversees training programming for department staff.
- Ensures that staff receive and maintain certification levels.
- Ensures that all volunteers meet all training requirements as indicated by the state and the department.
- Develops and maintains relationships with Fire Department stakeholders.
- Engages in networking activities with colleagues at other municipalities.
- Represents the city on local, regional, and statewide committees or work groups.
- Collaborates with other city department leaders to develop unified and effective responses to any department orcCity emergency or investigation.
- Provides appropriate staff preparedness training as needed.
- Procures all equipment, machinery, vehicles, and tools (within assigned budget allocation) to provide inventory for staff to use in fire and emergency response activities and programs.
- Performs market study to ensure cost competitiveness.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Completion of HS Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Successful completion of the Kentucky Fire Commission firefighter training program.
- Valid 400 certification with Kentucky Fire Commission as a paid firefighter.
- Valid IFSAC Firefighter I/II, Instructor Level I/II, NFA MCTO-Preparation-Decision Making-Tactics, NFA Arson I/II, Leadership I/II/III or IFSAC Fire Officer I, and Inspector I/II certifications.
- Valid ICS 100, 200, 300, 700, and 800 certifications.
- Minimum of eight years of firefighting experience including four years in administration.
- Valid Kentucky driver's license and insurance at time of appointment.
Salary Information: $89,017 to $133,526
Application Deadline: 09/30/2022
Please email resume to email@example.com
220 N. 5th St.
Bardstown, KY 40004