City of Danville | Danville, KY
Date Posted: 10/6/2022 2:10:57 PM
THE CITY OF DANVILLE: The City of Danville is located 35 miles southwest of Lexington and is a thriving community with a population of 17,000. The City has a highly efficient infrastructure, water treatment and wastewater facilities, police and fire services, quality school system, and a highly educated workforce. Danville is the home of Centre College, which is among the most prestigious small liberal arts colleges in America. The City of Danville is also the business hub to a 5 county, 100,000 + region.
Pay Type: Non-Exempt
Pay Classification: Full-Time
Location: 420 West Main St, Danville, KY 40422
Responsible To: Fire Chief
Position Summary: This is a skilled experienced and state certified firefighter that provides fire safety and suppression services within the City of Danville. This position will work under direct supervision performing firefighting work in combating, extinguishing, and preventing fires. Work will also involve training and participation in varied firefighting and life rescue duties and activities in the protection of life and property.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
- Responds to alarms, fires, rescues, extrications, and other emergencies.
- Performs essential emergency scene functions, including hose pulls and lays, operation of nozzles in the application of fire streams, raise and climb ladders, use of extinguishers, use of forcible entry tools.
- Capable of performing strenuous activity while wearing full protective clothing and equipment, including bunker coat and pants, fire boots, helmets, gloves, and full self-containing breathing apparatus (SCBA).
- Capable of performing rescue activities involving standing, crawling, or climbing, and being able to pull or otherwise remove a potential victim from a fire or other rescue situation.
- Administer emergency first aid procedures, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and other life saving techniques.
- Perform salvage and overhaul operations including moving heavy objects, sweeping water, removing debris, and pulling ceilings and drywall as needed.
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate via radio and telephone.
- Capable of working under stress and duress at any hour of the day or night without becoming excitable or loss of control.
- Must be able to follow orders and direction and be able to respond in a timely manner.
- Participates regularly in training sessions, both hands-on and classroom instructions, on firefighting, emergency medical rescue, incident command, equipment maintenance, etc.
- Performs general maintenance and upkeep of departmental equipment, facilities, grounds, and buildings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of the geography of the City of Danville, or the ability to learn the geography of the City and surrounding areas.
- Ability to evaluate situations and display independent judgement and decision making abilities.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to operate fire department vehicles in normal driving and emergency modes.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Capable of establishing and maintaining relationships with departmental staff, City employees, elected officials, public safety agencies, and the general public.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with a high sense of urgency in emergency situations in a calm and efficient manner.
- Capable of working in a highly stressful hazardous duty environment.
- Ability to work 24hr shifts that include nights, weekends, and holidays.
Education and Experience:
- HS Diploma or GED.
- 1-2 years of prior firefighting experience with a fulltime fire department is required.
- Must have valid and current Kentucky driver’s license.
- IFSCA Firefighter I and II
- Certified Hazardous Material Technician
- Certified Kentucky Emergency Medical Technician
- Certified Kentucky Fire Commission Instructor Level 1
- Frequently required to sit, stand, or walk for the duration of the workday.
- Twisting, stooping, bending, and crawling on a regular basis.
- Ability to climb ladders and work at considerable heights above ground level.
- Lifting up to 50lbs regularly
- Ability to enter and exit confined spaces.
- Must have corrective 20/20 vision.
- Must have adequate hearing levels in the 250hz to 8000hz range, with or without a prescribed hearing device.
- 100% Paid Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 100% Paid Life Insurance
- Vacation Pay
- Sick Pay
- Holiday Pay
- Longevity Incentive Pay
- Educational Assistance
- KY CERS Hazardous Duty Retirement
EEO Disclaimer: The City of Danville provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other trait or characteristic protect by federal, state, and local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, discipline, demotion, termination, layoffs, recalls, leaves of absence, training, compensation, and benefits.
Salary Information: $33,303 - $50,178 annually. Starting salary will be determined by years of fire service experience
Application Deadline: 12/01/2022
To submit an online application and resume, please visit the City's Careers Page at www.danvilleky.gov
Human Resources Director
445 West Main St
Danville, KY 40422