City of Winchester | Winchester, KY
Date Posted: 3/4/2019 4:10:39 PM
CHARACTERISTICS OF CLASS: This is a position of considerable difficulty, responsible for supervision and administration of the Finance Department under direct supervision of the City Manager. The Finance Department is responsible for collection, disbursement, investment, control (budgeting, accounting and audit) and reporting on all city funds and preparing budget ordinances or other records as required by law or directed by the Board of Commissioners and/or the City Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Supervises all personnel assigned to Finance Department.
- Supervises and participates in the collection of all taxes, fees, and funds received by the City and maintains records for same.
- Supervises preparation of employee payroll and related reports.
- Oversees and directs all aspects of the budget development process for all City departments and functions.
- Prepares the year-end audit adjustments to convert from cash basis to modified accrual basis; management discussion and analysis; assisting auditors in preparation of yearly audit; publishing audit; and sending to federal and state oversight agencies.
- Supervises the investment, disbursement, and audit of all City funds.
- Performs studies and prepares reports as required and/or directed by the Board of Commissioners or the City Manager.
- Serves as a voting member of the Police and Fire Pension Board organized under KRS 93.530.
- Responsible for timely compliance with any financial requirements and/or regulations for any intergovernmental fund transfer from Federal or State governments.
- Must develop and maintain a working relationship with fellow employees, subordinates and the general public.
- Must become proficient in investment of funds.
- Performs related tasks as assigned by the City Manager or Board of Commissioners.
- Keeps City current GASB and any/all other generally accepted accounting practices as it relates to financial management.
- Maintains and oversees all files/reporting as it relates to financial management of all City grants. ? Oversees and directs all aspects of the annual City audit, including audit preparation and working with audit firm(s).
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS Bachelors in Accounting, Finance, Business-Management or related field and five years work experience in areas relating to this position.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: A post-secondary degree (Masters preferred) in accounting, finance, business management or related field supplemented with a combination of five years of either work experience in governmental accounting and/or business management related fields are preferred. Also preferred is combination of training and experience in data processing, Microsoft Office, and knowledge of investment practices, policies, procedures, GASB, and generally accepted accounting practices as it relates to public finance. Additional experience and knowledge as it relates to Municipal Bonds and other government financing for capital equipment projects preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must be proficient in data processing, accounting and bookkeeping. Must have ability to plan, assign, coordinate and manage activities assigned to the Finance Department. Must have knowledge of investment practices and policies. Must have ability to develop a thorough knowledge of laws pertaining to third class cities. Must possess above average communications skills and good customer skills. Must be able to communicate with co-workers, elected officials, and the public at large. Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office equipment and techniques. Must have ability learn to learn job-specific software, Microsoft Office, other systems, and related financial software. Must demonstrate a high level of leadership and professional bearing. Must possess a high degree of tact and diplomacy and professional integrity. Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally with local elected officials and make reports and presentations when necessary. Must be bondable at $300K minimum amount.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is performed mostly in an office setting. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The examples of duties are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Salary Information: $24.24/hr
Application Deadline: 04/01/2019
The City of Winchester is accepting applications for Finance Director. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m., Monday, April 1, 2019. Interested parties may pick up applications and a minimum list of qualifications at the Human Resource Office, City Hall, 32 Wall St, Suite 205, Winchester, KY 40391 or download at winchesterky.com.
NO RESUMES WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT COMPLETE APPLICATION. BENEFITS: 1½ times salary Paid Life Insurance, 2 weeks paid vacation per year, 8 hours sick accrual per month, 93% of Health (Emp $38.00/Fam $113.00 per month) and 95% Single Dental (Emp $1.13/Fam $59.58 per month), Prescription Plan and more. There will be a written test along with an oral interview. Physical, drug screening and background check will be required of all successful applicants. EEO/MFH 40 hour work week; $24.24/hr., $50,409.26 annual. EOE/MFH
PO Box 40, 32 Wall Street
Winchester, KY 40391