City of Winchester | Winchester, KY
Date Posted: 3/4/2019 4:11:57 PM
CHARACTERISTICS OF CLASS: Performs general patrol duties in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances: Responsible for the prevention of crimes, and general enforcement of laws and ordinances within guidelines of WPD rules and regulations and KRS. Performs police work of considerable difficulty in protecting life and property, suppressing and detecting crime and serving the community. May have to act in situations that may include extreme danger or peril Work assignments are general, patrol, traffic or criminal investigations or other specialized functions on an assigned shift. Must be able to act without direct supervision and exercise independent discretion. Assignments and general and special instructions are received from superior officers. Work methods and results are reviewed through personal inspections, reports and discussions.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Must make passing grade on Kentucky Law Enforcement Council’s required hours of Basic Training at EKU.
- Must complete 8 weeks in the Field Training Officer’s Program.
- Advises the public on laws and ordinances and general information.
- Participates in individual and group training activities.
- Learns firearms use and safety practices.
- Directs vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Maintains assigned cruiser and firearms in safe operating condition.
- Schedules routine maintenance with City Garage. ? Clears major repairs through Chief or assigned officer.
- Learns City Streets and County Roads and must score 80% on written test.
- Participates in random drug testing program.
- Ability to process information concerning multiple issues simultaneously and react using sound judgment.
- Ability to function as an active Law Enforcement Officer
- Must be free from color blindness and have 20/50 vision, correctable to 20/20. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must have adequate mental ability, muscular and hand-eye coordination, ability to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
- Work is performed out of doors including periods of inclement weather with exposure to heat and cold, varying noise levels, blood born pathogens, fumes, dust and odors.
- Ability to patrol a designated area of the City of Winchester by operating the patrol vehicle/motorcycle, walking, observing, watching for traffic violators, and providing customer service.
- Ability to respond to calls for service and complaints.
- Ability to secure the scene of a crime or accident; administers first aid; lifts latent prints; gathers and identifies evidence; makes photographs and diagrams on the scene; obtains witnesses; and makes arrests.
- Ability to conduct a criminal investigation.
- Ability to inspect doors and windows of businesses, vacant buildings, schools and unoccupied residences.
- Ability to interview persons with complaints and inquiries and attempts to make proper disposition or direct them to the proper authorities; gives advice on laws and ordinances and general information to the public; and gathers information on crimes and offenses through interviews and interrogations.
- Ability to serve warrants, summonses, subpoenas and other legal notices; issues traffic citations; and prepares traffic accident and criminal offense reports. ? Ability to work with social service agencies with the care and placement of abandoned, neglected, physically and sexually abused children.
- Ability to testify as a witness in court in connection with arrests and citations made.
- Ability to transport prisoners to and from jail, court, doctor appointments and other destinations.
- Ability to administer breathalyzer tests or conduct polygraph tests when assigned.
- Ability to study and analyze crime patterns; and performs critical on-site security analyses of buildings and surroundings.
- Ability to lecture and give demonstrations to schools, civic groups, business groups and in public gathering events. ? Ability to work with other agencies ? Performs related duties as assigned and required by a superior officer.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited high school or G.E.D. Have not been convicted at any time of a felony; Must be at least 21 years of age; Must possess a valid driver’s license; Must submit fingerprints for a criminal background check; Must not be prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm; Must have read and sign the peace officers Code of Ethics; Must have not received a dishonorable discharge or general discharge under other than honorable conditions; Applicants also must not have not had certification as a peace officer permanently revoked in another state, have a medical examination, have a background investigation, be interviewed by their potential employing agency's executive or designee, take a written suitability screener, pass a drug screen test and take a polygraph examination. Must satisfy all requirements of KRS.
Salary Information: $15.62/hr
Application Deadline: 04/01/2019
The City of Winchester is accepting applications for Police Officer. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m., Monday, April 1, 2019. Interested parties may apply in person at the Human Resource Office, City Hall, 32 Wall St, Winchester, KY or print from the website www.winchesterky.com.
NO RESUMES WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT COMPLETE APPLICATION.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must have a high school diploma GED, must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid Kentucky driver’s license with a good driving record. Must attend 18 weeks concentrated training and pass requirements at Bureau of Training at EKU. BENEFITS: 1½ times salary Paid Life Insurance; 5 Comp Days, 3 weeks paid vacation per year; 8 hours sick accrual per month; 93% of Health (Emp $38.00/Fam $113.00 per month) and 95% Single Dental (Emp $1.13/Fam $59.58 per month); Prescription Plan; CERS Hazardous retirement; and more. There will be an ability and written test along with an oral interview. Physical, drug screening and psychological evaluation will be required of all successful applicants. $15.62 per hour ($32,494.26) plus $4,000 annual training incentive when qualified. Shift work/40 hour week. EEO/MFH
PO Box 40, 32 Wall Street
Winchester, KY 40391