Shelbyville Fire and Rescue | City of Shelbyville, KY
Date Posted: 9/22/2021 3:11:42 PM
The Shelbyville Fire Department is accepting applications for full-time firefighter(s), including lateral hires.
General Duties: This position serves under the Fire Captain or Fire Sergeant and routinely works 24-hour shifts with scheduled 48 hours off-duty. Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to: operating all fire apparatus and communication equipment assigned to the department; safely transporting personnel, fire apparatus, and equipment to fires, accidents, rescue, civil defense, hazardous materials, and natural disaster calls to prevent/extinguish fire or rescue victims; assisting with building inspection, fire prevention, and public relation duties; ensuring clean, orderly and safe work environments; ensuring that apparatus and equipment are clean and maintained in proper working order; preparing and maintaining accurate records.
Education and Certification Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent. A valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Must possess and maintain the following certifications:
- 150-hour Certification established and certified by the Kentucky Fire Commission. 400-hour certification and the IFSAC Firefighter I and II are preferred, but not required for immediate hire. However, these certifications must be obtained within the initial 12-month probationary period.
- Emergency Medical Technician Certification (EMT-B or EMT-A, P) as established and certified by the Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services (KBEMS) • Certifications from the US Department of Homeland Security/FEMA that include NIMS IS-100, 200, 700, and 800
- A CPAT card as certified by the Kentucky Fire Commission at time of hire. The CPAT requirement may be waived for a lateral transfer who is currently employed with or who has previously been employed by a Kentucky fire department prior to January 1, 2013 in accordance with KRS Chapters 67, 75, and 95; and who has not been out of the fire service for more than one (1) year. Qualified candidates will be notified via email of their test date. Candidates who show proof of IFSAC accreditations in Firefighter 1 and 2 may forego the written exam and be given a score of 80. Successful completion of the physical agility test is required for anyone with a CPAT card greater than 180 days old.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of modern firefighting principles, methods, and techniques.
- Knowledge of departmental operating procedures.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of fire vehicles, equipment, and related apparatus.
- Knowledge of the geography of the city, including the location of streets and roads, fire hydrants and the location and interior of major buildings.
- Knowledge of the principles of hydraulics and their application to the operation of fire apparatus.
- Working knowledge of building maintenance.
- Ability to analyze hazardous situations and adopt quick, efficient, and reasonable courses of action with a minimum of hazard to fire personnel and the general public.
- Ability to operate emergency communications system.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with city officials and employees, other fire department personnel, and the general public.
Salary: Compensated through a pay scale that starts at $37,000 annually, and can extend to $46,209 for career fire experience totaling up to ten (10) years. Paid an additional $4,000 annually through the Kentucky Fire Commission’s incentive program. Excellent benefits.
Salary Information: (see above)
Application Deadline: 11/30/2021
Visit www.shelbyvillekentucky.com or City Hall (315 Washington St., Shelbyville, KY) for an application packet. Please include copies of certifications demonstrating qualifications with your application. A resume will not substitute for a completed and signed application. The application period will remain open until all positions are filled. E. O. E. / A. D. A.
1040 Main Street
Shelbyville, KY 40065