City of Winchester | Winchester, KY
Date Posted: 11/1/2022 9:34:36 AM
CLASS TITLE: City Manager
CHARACTERISTICS OF CLASS: The purpose of this position is to plan, direct and manage the activities of all City operations and functions. Under executive direction, is responsible for the daily administration and operation of the City government; developing, implementing, and interpreting City policies and procedures; performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Serves as the Chief Administrative Officer for the City.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and maintains supervision over the day-to-day administration of the City.
- Executes the policies, directives and legislative actions of the Mayor and City Commissioners.
- Manages activities of City departments by assigning priorities and objectives to department directors and professional staff, reviews/approves management reports regarding department and administrative activities.
- Maintains communication with Mayor and City Commissioners for the exchange of information, development of policies, resolution of conflicts, etc.
- Makes recommendations to the Board of Commissioners.
- Assists in making policy decisions.
- Insures that ordinances and policies are complied with and executed.
- Monitors the financial condition of the City and advises Mayor and Commissioners of the same; estimates present and future financial needs; works and consults with Mayor and Commissioners, and department heads concerning budget preparation; reviews and analyzes the financial position and related matters of the City; submits proposed budget to Mayor and Commissioners for review, consideration, and approval; administers and monitors operating budget.
- Responsible for direct supervision of Department Heads, HR/Risk Manager, City Clerk, Engineering Technician, Main Street Director, and other positions as assigned. ? Is responsible for staff development and motivation; provides instructions and guidance to department heads as needed; oversees and controls the planning, development and implementation of various City systems and functions.
- Supervises the revitalization process of downtown.
- May serve as mediator between employees and department heads.
- Reviews Personnel Policy changes and Position Descriptions and advises HR Manager.
- Serves on various committees required for projects or as directed by the Board of Commissioners.
- Regularly attends, has staff to and/or serves as Board Member for Municipal Cemetery, Urban Renewal and Community Development Agency, Veterans Council, KRCC, Main Street, Tourism, Industrial Authority, DES-CSEPP, Public Works, Chamber of Commerce, Administrative Hearing, Parks, and W/CC GIS.
- Exercises responsible judgment in resolving problems involving citizens.
- Maintains effective working relationships with elected officials, representatives of federal, state, and local agencies, local civic organizations, the news media and others involved with City government.
- Participates in the recruitment, interview, and selection of Department Heads and other personnel, and makes recommendations to the Mayor and Commissioners for appointment of the same.
- Attends educational classes, conferences and seminars for professional development.
- Prepares or oversees a wide variety of records, and reports such as the annual budget, periodic status reports, commission agendas, policy papers, news releases, financial status reports, and performance appraisals.
- Receives, reviews and/or approves various records and forms such as monthly financial reports, personnel forms, operating reports, work plans, annual budget records, department reports, purchase orders, blue prints, organizations charts, etc.
- Ability to advise and interpret on how to apply policies, procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Ability to design data and information such as accounting methods, policy manuals, and other reports or documents as assigned.
- Conducts all phases of planning designed to facilitate a variety of City programs such as new systems, annexations, influence of City growth and structure, consolidation of services, and various new City projects.
- Makes public speeches and presentations to various groups.
- Serves as Official Custodian of Records.
- Work is performed in an office setting and outdoors as required in the inspection of various City projects.
- Performs various public relations duties. ? May perform other administrative and personnel work as required.
- Performs such duties as specified in KRS 83A.150.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Must reside or relocate to Winchester/Clark County within 6 months of employment.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Public Administration, Political Science, Business Administration, Finance, Business Management, Accounting, or closely related field. Education can be substituted with progressively responsible experience in local governmental administration. A strong financial background and excellent inter-personal skills is a must. Must possess a leadership style characterized by integrity, fairness and consistency.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Extensive knowledge of the operation and administration of city government. Extensive knowledge of state and local policies, regulations and codes governing city government. Ability to plan, organize, and administer local government and local government programs. Ability to maintain effective public, private and work relationships with employees, elected officials and the general public. Ability to interpret complex regulations and policies. Ability to communicate effectively, including public speaking. Possess professional integrity., strong planning skills, and oral and written communication skills with the ability to multitask.
Salary Information: $80,000+
Application Deadline: 12/31/2022
www.winchesterky.com for application Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
32 Wall St, Ste 205
Winchester, KY 40391