City of Winchester - City Hall | Winchester, KY
Date Posted: 4/26/2023 10:59:44 AM
CITY OF WINCHESTER, KENTUCKY POSITION DESCRIPTION Code No. 17-XX Page 1 of 3
CLASS TITLE: Engineering Technician/Back-up Building Inspector
CHARACTERISTICS OF CLASS:
- Plans, organizes and implements various programs for the City as directed.
- Performs studies and prepares reports there from.
- Proposes preliminary designs and supervises various construction and public works projects as directed.
- Administers and enforces building, zoning and related codes. Works under the general supervision of the Senior Engineering Technician and/or the Planning Director.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Assists in implementation of a City Stormwater/Drainage Program including the following:
- Inventories and maps the existing system and new as it is installed.
- Facilitates repair, replacement and maintenance of existing public system. Establishes/and or implements construction priorities.
- Design, implement, and maintain an asset management system to track age, condition, pipe sizes, and depths of all new/existing stormwater facilities.
- Develop and implement a CCTV schedule for all new/existing stormwater facilities.
- Assists in the preparation of ordinances to establish maintenance responsibility, and determine public/private responsibility. f) Coordinates and inspects to ensure proper development standards are being met for new developments and plans.
- Coordinates, supervises, and inspects any reconstruction or new construction of the system.
- Satisfy all requirements of USEPA Stormwater Phase II Program such as but not limited to, testing storm water at different sites, erosion and sediment control measures, etc.
- Prepares a plan for the maintenance of retention and detention facilities on private property, inspects same and takes action to assure compliance with established policy.
- Reviews the submission of digital plats and plan documents to ensure compliance with the Winchester Clark County Subdivision Regulations and distributes the information to appropriate agencies.
- Prepares and gives reports and digital presentations on City projects.
- Coordinates GIS projects and works on related issues with the Clark County Geographic Information Consortium
- Assists with permanent closure of City streets and alleys, to include boundaries, deeds, and legal descriptions.
- Coordinates activity with other public city, county, and state agencies.
- Under the direction of the Senior Engineering Technician, serves as project manager, daily resident inspector, and public liaison for the City on various projects undertaken by the City.
- Attends Public Works Meetings monthly to offer updates on projects and other related tasks.
- Attends City Commission and other agency meetings as needed.
- Assists with solicitation of bids, and management of demolition of residential/commercial structures as ordered by the Administrative Hearing Board.
- Assist in the acquisition of temporary/permanent easements necessary to complete City projects.
- Answers inquiries concerning zoning, building and other code requirements.
CITY OF WINCHESTER, KENTUCKY POSITION DESCRIPTION Code No. 17-XX Page 2 of 3
- Does on-site inspections during all phases of construction as prescribed in the building code and maintains documentation of same.
- Confers or corresponds with architects, building owners, and/or contractors concerning questions about building plans and constructions applications.
- Observes for possible violations of building, zoning and other regulations and follows through for compliance.
- Serves in the capacity of Building Official when Building Official is not available
- Plat review as needed
- Reviews landscape and land use buffer guidelines as submitted by contractors and or architects and inspects installation.
- Business License inspections
- Reviews and issues sign permits
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from a high school or GED, supplemented by two years of related technical or college training in drafting, Computer-Aided-Design, engineering technology, civil engineering, GIS technology, field work, technical training in building construction or a closely related field. Minimum of two years related experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting; some knowledge of applicable City policies, laws, and regulations as applied to the administration of diversified public works and utility activities.
- Knowledge of construction; Certified Building Inspector with the State of Kentucky, or can obtain certification within the first year of employment.
- Considerable skills in arriving at cost estimates on complex projects;
- Skill in operating personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheet, data base and computer-aided-design software; standard drafting tools; pipe locator, engineering calculator; motor vehicle; phone; mobile radio and etc; some basic drafting, surveying, and flagging skills.
- Ability to prepare, organize and maintain engineering field and office data, reports, and systems;
- Ability to communicate complex technical information, orally and in writing, to contractors, developers, property owners, employees, consultants and other governmental agency representatives, City officials and the general public.
- Thorough knowledge of the sources of engineering information and facility in the application of engineering methods; Initiative and resourcefulness in handling general engineering problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees and the general public.
- Employee is required to stand, walk, climb or balance, kneel, stoop, crouch or crawl, sit for periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel or operate objects, tools and controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Employee occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds. Non-exempt position Grade 26
- Will advance 3 steps upon attaining UK's Dept of Trans. Roads Scholar certification ? Will advance 3 steps upon attaining UK's Dept of Trans. Roads Master certification
- Grade 27 - Kentucky One and Two-Family Dwelling Inspector Certification
CITY OF WINCHESTER, KENTUCKY POSITION DESCRIPTION Code No. 17-XX Page 3 of 3 40 Hour Work Week EEO Class Order No. 2023- I have read the job description and understand the job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. Employee:_________________________ Date:_____________________________
Salary Information: $42,300+
Application Deadline: 07/31/2023
Apply in person at 32 Wall St, Winchester KY or obtain information at winchesterky.com
32 Wall St, Ste 205
Winchester, KY 40391