Georgetown Municipal Water & Sewer Service | Georgetown , KY
Date Posted: 5/17/2023 11:17:26 AM
GMWSS POSITION DESCRIPTION Class Title: Customer Service Representative I
Department: Finance Supervisor: Office Manager
Class Characteristics: Under general direction, ensures utility billing system is operating at all times; receives, verifies, monitors and corrects errors in information, provides data input of daily, weekly, and monthly information; performs accounts receivable duties for the utility; schedules service orders; serves as receptionist; assists other departments as requested; performs related work as required.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets customers in person and via telephone concerning a variety of matters
- Accepts payments from customers, payments received by mail or drop boxes, and online payments; issues or mails receipts; matches payments and stubs; posts to customer accounts; balances cash drawers.
- Signs customers up for new service and/or water and sewer taps; receives deposits from new customers; processes new accounts.
- Assists in preparing bank deposits and delivers to bank daily.
- Assists in creating workorders.
- May assist in preparing final bill for customers who leave service area.
- May assist in processing new ACH customers, post payments for ACH customers for each billing cycle.
- May assist in preparing reports as requested.
- May assist in maintaining utility billing system; corrects problems or requests assistance.
- Assists in monitoring delinquent accounts, prepare final-disconnect letters.
- May determine penalties and post to customer accounts.
- Assists in computing adjustments to customer accounts due to leaks and over-reads.
- Assists customers with signing up for payment plans when necessary.
- Types correspondence letters, memorandums, envelopes, reports, etc.
- May accept inquiries, complaints, and/or problems of customers and forwards to higher authority.
- May assist in maintaining garbage data for the City of Georgetown.
- May assist other departments or accept new duties as requested.
- Non-essential: None.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Training and Experience: Graduation from high school or equivalent, supplemented by one-year related work experience. Advancement to Customer Representative II is subject to the recommendation of the Office Manager and Finance Director, with the approval of the General Manager.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge:
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, all departments within GMWSS, including direct familiarity with customer service activities.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, computer hardware and software utilized by GMWSS.
- Knowledge of the capabilities and intricacies of computers and related equipment.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, accounts payable and receivable system utilized by GMWSS.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, the methods and procedures used in accounting and reporting utilized by GMWSS.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn GMWSS operating procedures.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, clerical methods and financial management systems used in processing utility payments.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, modern office procedures, routines, and equipment (including computer hardware and software.)
- Knowledge of mathematics, business arithmetic and English.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, professional accounting practices.
- Skill in data entry.
- Skill in written communications.
- Exceptional public relations skills.
- Excellent communication skills, in person and by phone.
- Computer skills.
- Ability to work well with co-workers while assisting with required duties.
- Ability to input data efficiently and accurately.
- Ability to learn new software as it is introduced.
- Ability to analyze computer problems and solve basic problems.
- Ability to carry out complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computer keyboard, typewriter, scanner, calculator, copier, and other office equipment.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and filing systems.
- Ability to make mathematical computations with speed and accuracy by hand or machine.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials, employees and the general public; ability to firmly but tactfully and courteously deal with the public in difficult situations.
- Clerical aptitude. Mental alertness. Attention to detail. Accuracy, Good judgment. Integrity
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS Instructions: Instructions are initially detailed and specific but become more general with work experience in the class.
- Processes: Work varies and will require employee to take different, new, or unusual approaches in completing work assignments.
- May occasionally consider a different course of action to complete the job.
- Review of Work: Work is initially reviewed closely, but less often with increased work experience.
- Analytical Requirements: Problems require analysis based on precedent.
- Physical Demands of the Job: Work is predominantly performed indoors at a desk or table. Intermittent standing, walking, stooping is required; must lift objects weighing less than 25 pounds.
- Tools and/or Equipment Used: Computer hardware and software; general office equipment (computer, printer, copier, fax, calculator, postage meter, phone, scanner, check processer, etc.)
- Contacts: Public and internal contacts requiring tact and diplomacy are a requirement of the job.
- Confidential Information: Regular use of confidential information is a requirement of the job.
- Mental Effort: Heavy. Interruptions: Constant.
Special Licensing Requirements: None. Certification Requirements: None. Overtime Provision: Non-exempt.
Salary Information: 15.00
Application Deadline: 06/02/2023
GEORGETOWN MUNICIPAL WATER & SEWER SERVICE Georgetown Municipal Water & Sewer Service (GMWSS) will be accepting applications for the position of Customer Service Representative. Excellent benefits package and salary ranges offered. Detailed job descriptions and application forms can be obtained from Barb Bowman at 1000 W Main St. in Georgetown, Kentucky, and through the GMWSS website at www.gmwss.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. An application MUST be submitted with your resume. A resume does not substitute for an application. Passing a physical, drug/alcohol test and background check are conditions of employment. PLEASE SEND APPLICATIONS TO: Barb Bowman Loss Control Administrator/HR Officer GMWSS P.O. Box 640 Georgetown, KY 40324 firstname.lastname@example.org EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
1000 W Main St
Georgetown , KY 40324