City of Maysville | City of Maysville, KY
Date Posted: 5/25/2023 8:03:56 AM
The City of Maysville is currently accepting applications for a full-time Comptroller.
JOB SUMMARY This position assists the City Manager with implementing the strategic activities necessary to accomplish the City’s mission and goals. This position works to ensure a work environment that recruits, retains, and supports quality staff. The Comptroller serves as Chief Financial Officer of the City; plans, organizes, directs, controls, and evaluates the activities of the Finance Department. The Comptroller supports the financial accounting processes of the City in accordance with the governmental Accounting Standards as promulgated by the Government Standards Board (GASB) as well as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as required. The Comptroller provides fiscal accountability to the City directly through the coordination, formulation, monitoring, and presentation of budgets for controlling funds to implement program objectives of the City. The Comptroller maintains a systematic, disciplined approach to identify risks and evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the Finance Department through the implementation and promotion of financial controls and governance processes.
- The Comptroller is responsible for all accounting, budget, purchasing, debt management, revenue collection and fiscal activities.
- Oversees financial software systems.
- Performs Treasury activities, annual audit, compliance with GASB standards, uniform financial information report (UFIR), annual budget, capital improvement planning.
- Oversees cash receipt operations, investments, payroll, finance personnel management, procurement, risk management, and state/local and federal tax and revenue policies.
- Ability to analyze fiscal data and draw logical conclusions, communicate effectively in writing and orally and develop cooperative working relationships with City staff and elected officials.
- Ability to lead budget presentations using a variety of media, to large and small groups, including the City Commission Meetings.
- Ability to organize complex budget process into a simplified easy to understand format as needed.
- Management of municipal debt administration
- Proven knowledge of principles and practices of organization, administration, budget, and personnel management.
- Assures adherence to accepted accounting principles.
- Tracks the City's economic growth and its impact on municipal finances and makes long-range projections of City programs and their financing.
- Develops annual revenue estimates for the annual budget; assists the City Manager in developing the City Manager’s annual budget proposal for the City Commission.
- Reviews expenditures of departments to ensure compliance with budget.
- When capital improvements projects are planned, makes estimates of capital needs and arranges financing, including, when necessary, negotiating bond sales. • Arranges for investment of idle funds.
- Oversees the custody of City funds and other assets.
- Cooperates with the external auditors on the annual audit of City financial records, practices, and procedures.
- Oversees the accounting staff whose day-to-day duties include payroll, billing and collections, accounts receivable and payable, managing cash flow, developing, and implementing all accounting procedures, developing, and overseeing procedures for internal controls in the departments where cash is accepted from the public, and handling the City's financial reporting to the state and federal government.
- Forecasts short-range and long-range cash requirements and obligations, as a basis for maintaining adequate funds. • Prepares and presents regular budget updates to the City Commission.
- Keeps the City Manager informed of departmental performance and provides advice on all financial matters as well as the strategic plan. • Provides the City Manager with monthly working budget updates.
- Oversees the financial aspect of City construction projects, including adhering to grant/loan requirements, requesting reimbursements, maintaining project files, and attending construction progress meetings.
- Develops and maintains information relating to the operating cost, utilization, and condition of all City assets to inform continuous improvement and risk management processes.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles and practices, investment principles and practices, and fund accounting.
- Extensive knowledge of local government operations, legal requirements, and financial records management.
- Experienced Project Management and Collaboration skills.
- Seasoned Critical thinking skills.
- Ability to prioritize simultaneous projects/issues/concerns & to take ownership of work
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and consultative skills.
A minimum of ten (10) years of broad-based Finance experience, knowledge of GASB and GAAP are required and progressively responsible management experience, preferably with demonstrated success in the following areas:
- organizational management
- budget/fiscal management
- leadership of senior-level staff
- Municipal experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate key objectives necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Must be able to prepare and implement short- and long-range strategic plans, including considerations of budgetary, organizational, and public impact
- Deep skills in statistical and budgetary analysis
- Demonstrated ability to present information in multiple forms including charts, graphs, narratives, and presentations to senior management and the public
- Commitment to excellence and a high stress tolerance • Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be meticulous and a self-starter.
EDUCATION: A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, public administration, or related field. A master’s degree and/or CPA license is preferred.
Application Deadline: 06/09/2023
Additional information: https://www.cityofmaysvilleky.gov/job_detail_T7_R25.php
216 Bridge Street
Maysville, KY 41056