City of Bowling Green | Bowling Green, KY
Date Posted: 2/3/2020 10:14:07 AM
This position is to act in department head status as General Counsel for the City and provide legal counsel to the Board of Commissioners, City Manager, City departments and designated boards and committees on all matters of City business under the supervision of the City Manager.
The City Attorney is part of the City’s management team assisting in the formulation and execution of the City’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Sets goals, objectives and priorities for the Department of Law and manages the Department budget. Attends Board of Commissioners meetings and advises board members on proper actions, motions and procedures.
- Provides legal assistance to certain boards and commissions appointed by the Mayor and/or City Commissioners and acts as the City’s prosecutor when requested before the Code Enforcement and Nuisance Board;
- Assists in the negotiation of contracts and drafts and reviews as to form and sufficiency OF all legal documents, contracts, deeds, and proposed municipal orders and ordinances;
- Assists in the negotiation of property acquisitions and dispositions and processes real estate transactions.
- Handles or supervises all civil litigation involving the City. Collects through litigation if necessary delinquent property tax accounts, net profit and occupational fees and code enforcement fines and charges.
- Assists the City Manager and Human Resources Director in personnel matters and represents the Board of Commissioners when holding personnel disciplinary hearings.
- Represents the City in defending insurance claims, even when the insurance provider obtains outside legal counsel, and represents the City when it is involved in bond issues.
- Reviews and recommends revisions to administrative policies and procedures for compliance with applicable federal and state laws.
- Be always on call for legal services.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree, and a law degree from an accredited college or university; license; and seven (7) years’ experience as an attorney, preferably in a local government setting.
- Must be licensed to practice law in Kentucky or able to immediately become licensed.
- Must be admitted to practice in federal court. Knowledge of local, state and federal laws and regulations impacting cities is useful.
- Ability to effectively use various personal computer applications such as spreadsheets, graphics, word processing, and WestLaw or similar research programs.
- Department heads are required to live within Warren County upon employment (City will reimburse for moving expenses).
Salary Information: $116,517 - $128,000; plus full benefits package
Application Deadline: 03/01/2020
Submit resume and cover letter ONLINE.
1001 College Stret
Bowling Green, KY 42101
Phone: (270) 393-3667
Fax: (270) 393-3298